Life is about to get better!
BetterLife, a member-owned life insurance company, is looking for an Accountant! We are in search of an analytical and inquisitive individual to join our team in Madison, Wisconsin (west side). Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
What You’ll Do:
The Accountant will prepare financial reports to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss and other related financial activities. This position is also part of the reporting team which is tasked with developing recurring and one-time reports for management to assist them in decision-making, problem-solving, and achieving strategic goals. Overall responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare journal entries and general ledger account reconciliations
- Reconcile bank accounts, review bank transactions and upload/confirm bank files
- Verify/review the payment of invoices for correct approvals and general ledger coding
- Prepare and/or review commission payrolls
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget
- Prepare expense analysis comparisons to budget monthly
- Train as a back-up for various accounting processes
- Assist external and state examiners with their audits
- Assist in defining and developing reporting for management and learn to extract, reconcile and analyze data from various databases
- Suggest ways to improve process efficiencies within the Finance team
What you should bring to the table:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 0-3 years of experience in accounting. Experience in one or more of the following areas is preferred, but not required: Reconciliations and general ledger entries, expense analysis, budget preparation, statutory accounting, using reporting languages (e.g. Crystal, SSRS, etc.), and or using Excel to manage and analyze large amounts of data.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Analytical skills for data analysis and reconciliations
- Inquisitive and willing to learn, excellent written and verbal communications skills, organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to work well independently and in team settings
Why you should be excited:
- You’ll make a positive impact. BetterLife is a thriving member-owned life insurance company that was formed after a recent merger between two companies with histories going back over 100 years. Our mission is to help our members protect their families’ financial futures, build better lives, and better their communities. We are passionate about engaging our members and employees to make a meaningful difference in their communities through philanthropic activities.
- Our Culture. You’ll love the people you work with and the positive environment in which you work. We recognize the value of a diverse team and we encourage applicants of varying backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to apply. At BetterLife, we believe in and demonstrate our culture of being member focused, respectful, transparent, passionate, accountable, collaborative, embrace change, curious, optimistic, do the right thing, and have fun.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package. We offer a competitive total rewards package with an 8% contribution to your 401K along with health, dental, vision, life, & disability insurance. In addition, you will receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. We also support employees through continuing education opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Submit your interest today to be our Accountant!