BetterLife has an exciting opportunity for an HR Specialist to join our Madison, Wisconsin office. If you are self-motivated, enjoy interacting with employees, love HR (and all the ups and downs that come with it), and want to help us bring the BetterLife culture to life, please apply!
What you’ll do:
As the HR Specialist, you will be the right hand person to the VP, Human Resources to ensure all HR tasks and projects are successfully completed. Specifically, you will assist with:
Talent Acquisition & Onboarding:
- Create and manage job postings, including tracking candidates that apply
- Review resumes and conduct initial screening interviews for select positions
- Facilitate the interview process from scheduling interviews to declining candidates
- Draft offer letters and request background checks
- Onboard employees ensuring they feel welcomed and all HR paperwork is completed and processed timely
HR & Benefits Administration:
- Lead HR projects (e.g. benefits open enrollment, flu shot clinic, records retention, etc.)
- Ensure policies and procedures are kept updated and compliant with applicable laws
- Maintain employee records and manage the records retention process
- Ensure benefits and payroll changes are processed timely (pay, title, address, qualifying event changes, etc.)
Employee & Executive Support:
- Handle basic employee relations issues
- Follow up with employees on HR related questions
- Support and reinforce our culture through daily interactions, projects and committees
- Manage our birthday and anniversary recognition programs
- Provide administrative support for Board of Director meetings. This would include working closely with our President and CEO to ensure Board meetings are scheduled, travel is arranged, venues are reserved, food is ordered, and materials are sent.
To be successful in the HR Specialist position, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years of cross-disciplinary HR experience including recruitment, onboarding, benefits administration, and employee relations
- Understands HR best practices and employment laws and can apply them in the appropriate situations
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Continuous process improvement mindset; likes to innovate and find better ways of doing things
- Detail oriented while being able to see and understand the “big picture”
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint and the ability to learn new systems
Why you should join our team:
- You’ll make a difference. BetterLife is a thriving organization that helps people protect their loved ones from the financial risks associated with dying too soon or living too long through life insurance and annuities. As a member owned organization, we are passionate about engaging our members to make a difference in their families, communities and country.
- Our organization is growing. National Mutual Benefit and Western Fraternal Life (a similar sized fraternal benefit society located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa) merged on January 1, 2021 to form a new company, BetterLife. BetterLife is headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin and occupies the former National Mutual Benefit office building. BetterLife serves 64,000+ members has $650 million in assets and is licensed to provide life and annuity products in 20 states.
- You’ll love the people you work with. We believe in helping people, making a difference, working hard, embracing change, doing the right thing, respecting each other, and having fun.
- We have great benefits that include:
• 401k with company contribution
• Health, dental & vision insurance
• Company paid life and disability insurance
• Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
• Tuition reimbursement