Life is about to get better!
BetterLife, a member-owned life insurance company, is looking for a Programmer Analyst to join our team! Reporting to the SVP of IT, this experienced professional will define, develop, test, analyze, and maintain new software applications in support of the achievement of business requirements. This includes writing, coding, testing, and analyzing software programs and applications. The Programmer Analyst will also research, design, document, and modify software specifications throughout the production life cycle.
What you’ll do:
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with developers, programmers, and designers in conceptualizing and development of new software programs and applications.
- Analyze and assess existing business systems and procedures.
- Assist in the definition, development, and documentation of software’s business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments.
- Assist in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation.
- Research, identify, analyze, and fulfill requirements of all internal and external program users.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Liaise with vendors for efficient implementation of new software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation issues.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Write programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or performance of company applications as necessary.
- Design, run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Develop and maintain user manuals and guidelines.
- Train end users to operate new or modified programs.
- Install software products for end users as required.
What you should bring to the table:
- Experience with LifePRO preferred.
- Excellent understanding of coding methods and best practices.
- Prior experience interviewing end-users for insight on functionality, interface, problems, and/or usability issues.
- Experience with Microsoft development platform- Visual and C3 in a .NET Visual Studio environment.
- Exposure to creating WCF RESTful and SOAP services and client applications, using JSON and XML.
- Experience with relational databases – SQL/T-SQL using Microsoft SQL Management Studio.
- Hands-on experience developing test cases and test plans.
- Experience using API’s, DOS, Fujitsu.net COBOL, C#.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Able to communicate effectively with non-technical staff and with members of interdisciplinary teams.
- Flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and understanding new technologies.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into software-related issues and products.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- College degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or software engineering and 2 years related experience, associate degree and 4 years related experience, or 6 years related experience.
Why you should be excited:
- You’ll make a positive impact. BetterLife is a thriving member-owned life insurance company that was formed after a recent merger between two companies with histories going back over 100 years. Our mission is to help our members protect their families’ financial futures, build better lives, and better their communities. We are passionate about engaging our members and employees to make a meaningful difference in their communities through philanthropic activities.
- Our Culture. You’ll love the people you work with and the positive environment in which you work. We recognize the value of a diverse team and we encourage applicants of varying backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to apply. At BetterLife, we believe in and demonstrate our culture of being member focused, respectful, transparent, passionate, accountable, collaborative, embrace change, curious, optimistic, do the right thing, and have fun.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package. We offer a competitive total rewards package with an 8% contribution to your 401K along with health, dental, vision, life, & disability insurance. In addition, you will receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. We also support employees through continuing education opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Submit your interest today to be our Programmer Analyst!